There is only one word that you need to remember.
Because differentiation creates Brand
Brand inspires Loyalty
Loyalty enables Influence
Success is directly proportionate to influence.
Five things to keep in mind:
1. Always be thankful. It is true that we succeed by our own efforts but it is good to remember that some of them were made standing on someone else’s shoulders. And they helped us when they didn’t need us and without expectation of reward. Don’t forget them because without them you would still be crawling. The biggest fallacy is the so-called ‘self-made man or woman.’ There’s no such thing. We are all the products of the Grace of God, of our time, environment, nation, family, friends – of all those who stopped by to lend a hand. To every one of them we owe a debt which must be repaid. So always be thankful and express thanks. People are not mind readers and even mind readers like to hear it from you. So, tell them. Thankfulness increases blessings, opens new doors, inspires people to do things for you and increases your circle of influence. Thankfulness also fills your own heart with joy. Try it and see.
2. Never compromise your legacy. Never lose sight of your purpose. Ask, ‘Why am I here?’ Write it down and stick it on your wall. Look at it every morning and re-dedicate yourself to that. Stick to that. There will be times when all sorts of other things will seek priority. Different issues will demand importance. Friends will pull in various directions. At such times look at your purpose and know that everything else must be subordinated to that if you are serious about success. Ask, ‘What do I want to be remembered for?’ Focus is the art of ignoring fluff.
3. Choose your friends. Everyone has friends. The worst of them and the best of them, all have friends. Ask Mother Teresa and ask any drug dealer or pickpocket. They all have friends. The key is to have the right kind of friends. Who is the right friend? Someone you can look up to. Someone you can learn from. Someone who challenges you to be your best. Someone who tells you what you need to hear, not only what you want to hear. So it is not how many friends you have but who those friends are, which is important. Also ask, ‘What kind of friend am I to my friends?’ Do you measure up to the same criteria? Being a leader means to take hard decisions and not follow the herd. Sheep have lots of company all the way to the abattoir.
4. No one walks alone. Every one of us is a reflection of his family, community, nation and humanity. We are never alone. Everything we choose to do or choose not to do, reflects brand value and character. Character is the tree and fame is its shadow. But of the two only the tree is real. So, judge every action not only by whether it pleases you but by how it will reflect on your parents, family and nation. And most importantly how it reflects on humanity. We are human because of our values alone. That is what distinguishes us from animals. So focus on values. Compassion supersedes them all. Do to others better than what you would have them do to you. That is the Platinum Rule. A picture is worth a thousand words. An action is worth a million.
5. Finally remember that popularity doesn’t matter: So never buckle under the pressure of popularity. It doesn’t matter at all. Dr. Rene Favaloro invented the technique and performed the first bypass surgery in 1967. Michael Jackson began his solo career in 1971 (he made his debut in 1964). Who was more popular? Whose contribution has more value? So, think contribution, not popularity.
In our world today, if you stand up against injustice, oppression, cruelty, and discrimination, you will be very unpopular. But the world owes a debt of gratitude to those who do. Otherwise oppressors would rule unchallenged. Stand for the weak and oppressed. Stand against the oppressor. Stand even if you are alone. Stand especially if you are alone.
Ask yourself, ‘If not now, then when? If not me then who?’
Peace as defined by oppressors has always been, ‘Absence of resistance to my oppression.’ All those who resist are punished. But history is witness that it is thanks to those who disturbed that peace that we abolished slavery, have human dignity, and continue to fight for freedom.
It is not whether you win or lose which matters. What matters is which side you fight on. Pick your side for you will be known by it. That is your signature.
Let me end with a story.
The Starfish Story by Lauren Eisley
One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.
Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”
The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up, and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they will die.”
“Son”, the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”
After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it back into the surf.
Then, smiling at the man, he said… “I made a difference for that one.”
Live your life so that you can make a difference for someone. Even one. Especially if it is only one.
I want to give you a gift. The gift of my motto in life.
“I will not allow what is not in my control, to prevent me from doing what is in my control.”
Dear Baig Saab, Brilliant ! You have condensed into a brief note on what is to and how to lead a meaningful life with gratitude, acknowledgement and purpose. You have been a great support , inspiration and mentor. Thank you my dear friend.Have a great day and a wonderful week ahead. Salaams & regards Imtiaz
I absolutely love this post. What Mr Baig talks about in this post is very powerful and relatable to most people if not all. At the end of the day we all need people to help us in some way shape or form. A pop singer might write their own material but that is not what makes them popular. It is the response from their fans that determines if a song is a hit or not. And Mr Baig pretty much talks about that process in this post. I especially also love the Starfish story. Short but powerful story.
Alhamdulillah this Article is extremely helpful.
jazakallah khair for sharing and being an inspiration to the mankind