Then don’t do 3 things and do 3 things:
1. COLLECT GARBAGE: Have a selective memory. Remember only good and forget all bad. Garbage always stinks and only you will smell it.
2. TRY TO MOULD, CHANGE OR SCULPT: If you didn’t like what you saw, why did you marry? If you liked what you saw, why do you want to change it? Your spouse is not a rock, a lump of clay or a patient in your hospital. They didn’t marry you to be changed. So change yourself to like them.
3. CRITICIZE: Nagging never works. If they wanted a nag they’d have married a horse. Forgive and seek forgiveness. Nothing works like SORRY. Do you want Allah to forgive you? Then forgive your spouse and thank them for giving you so much practice.
1. LAUGH: Always at yourself and with others. A sense of humor is like air. You need it to remain alive. Laugh especially when you’re having problems. Laugh at yourself for marrying someone so irritating…and you thought you were clever. And laugh because she was stupid enough to marry you. Couples who can laugh together, stay together.
2. THANK: Thank your spouse every day. Several times a day. Because there’s no thanking Allah without thanking the people. So, thank them for all the so-called small things. You will know the value of those small things when they are not there.
3. SHOW YOUR LOVE: Demonstrate your affection. They’re not mind readers. Even if they are, they like to see it. So, show it. And do that at least three times a day. I’ve been married 37 years and I’m happy.
What about my wife, you ask? You will have to ask her. But since I am still alive, I am sure she is also happy.